crowing roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rotzilla, Oct 7, 2007.

1. rotzilla

rotzilla Out Of The Brooder

when i ordered from ideal they miss sexed two and sent an extra ten for warmth all males didnt miss sex those thou. we thinned the flock once because five got real aggresive. we have seven roosters left (yes i know too many). were going to thin again and keep two probably. so my problem is at times they wont shut up. ive read that roos will feed off each other and try to top each others crowing. when i thin the flock again will the others not crow as often or are they accustumed to all day crowing and cant be broken of this?

2. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I really don't know the answer to your question. My cochin/silkie rooster is my only rooster that crows and he crows about 5 times in the morning and that's it for the rest of the day.

3. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    My rooster starts at 0430 and crows every 5 seconds for about an hour....very annoying, good thing it's been cool at night and I have the windows closed!! But boy is he pretty, will have to post a pic soon!

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, yes in my experience, they will try to outdo each other with the crowing. I had 2 which did it and also a neighbour across the road has 3. When hers started up so did mine.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I'd say probably. I would think the sheer volume of crowing will decrease, but it wont stop. Being males they try to "top" each other, as you said. And unlike our nice neat little picture of them at sunrise, they crow at all hours.

Two will crow according to their own wants, just like now. There'll just be two instead of seven.
    Thats my $.02 worth.

6. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    i had this problem too. but when it got really bad we would give them something to to eat then they would stop for a couple of hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by