Crowing Serama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by speak1074, Nov 16, 2016.

1. speak1074

speak1074 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2016
    Fort Collins, CO
    Good day!

I have a class A serama who is only 9 weeks old but appears to be crowing!

Is this normal? I live in town and can't have a rooster (totally going to break the rules with this one anyway), so if he/she is really a rooster then I need to get a crowing collar. (Do those even work?)

Any info would be appreciated! (BEFORE I drop a 20 on a collar.)

Thank you!!!

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Could we see some pictures? [​IMG]

~Alex

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, speak1074, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! I agree with the above - post a pic as you might have a rooster. Crowing hens are rare but not unheard of. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. speak1074

speak1074 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2016
    Fort Collins, CO
    [​IMG]

Oh, I don't really doubt that he's a rooster. I just am wondering why he's crowing at such an early age!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC! :frow

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! Yes, you have a very cute little rooster on your hands! I am just sorry that roosters aren't allowed where you are at. I have heard crowing collars don't keep roosters from crowing, it simply just makes their crow a little bit quieter.
    Google My Pet Chicken and you can search for "Crowing Collar" and there is a video someone posted of a rooster crowing with a crowing collar on.
    I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes! [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. In my experience the smaller breeds are more precocious, early crowers, and he is indeed a cockerel.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I've read that the collars sometimes injure the bird. Very rarely do I hear it works. My opinion is the same as for diet meds, IF the collar really worked, NO ONE would have to give up their roosters.

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day speak1074 [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!

We are not allowed to have roosters where I am and so that I do not risk the unwanted attention of having the authorities on my doorstep, I have not attempted to keep one so I have no personal experience with the no-crow collar but I have a friend who has.

Her first BCM rooster she tried it on was not happy with it initially but got used to it. She was not that happy with the ones she bought and ended up making her own.

I have heard of a few roosters choking to death while wearing the collar. Even with the correct setting, sometimes there is the risk of them eating something a bit bigger than normal and it not being able to move past the collar.

My friend nearly lost her boy when she was tweaking the collar and it was a little too tight; so if you are going to try one, obviously watch very closely. It took her probably two weeks of early morning tweakings to find the right setting.

However, this rooster still had to go into his man cave at night because even with the collar on the best setting she could find, he managed to make enough noise that the neighbours could hear him.

So, he used to sleep in a crate, with his collar on and in a dark corner under the house (she has an under house coop).

Anyways, because she felt this to be cruel, he is now living on a farm and can crow to his heart’s delight.

His son, who she kept, now has a no crow collar but with him it is enough to keep his crows at a less audible level and he does not have to sleep in a man cave and sleeps with his hens on the roost.

With what I have read about the collars (extensive), it works for some and not for others.

This is a good thread regarding the collar, lots of stories and pros and cons: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/906916/no-crow-rooster-collar/140

I know of someone else who has a number of roosters in a no rooster zone. He built a rooster night box which is sound proofed and remains darker for longer in the morning:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/792990/our-diy-rooster-night-box

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by