Crowing Silkie bantam

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Laroe1, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Laroe1

Laroe1 New Egg

Nov 10, 2014
    Hi!

I have a white bantam silkie that has started crowing. He's 11 weeks. He doesnt have any red in his comb or wattles so I didnt think he was a rooster? I also read that male silkies may crow. does anyone know? Thank you!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If a bird is crowing at that age, it's a rooster. Female chickens sometimes crow, but it is only usually in the case of hens with reproductive problems, or dominant hens without a rooster in the flock.

3. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkies don't usually have red combs. They usually are black or mulberry. Sure, yes, whatever, sometimes there are silkies with red combs--however, it's best not to use lack-of-a-red comb on a young silkie as an indicator for pullet.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on that. Your Silkie is a rooster. Sorry. :eek:(

5. Laroe1

Laroe1 New Egg

Nov 10, 2014
    i see. well, i got a flock of 6 bantams as day old chicks and two are roosters. they seem to get along fine. will this still be the case when they are older or will i have problems with them fighting? the other rooster is a buff brahma bantam.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    X2

7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You should remove one of the roosters from your flock. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, too many roosters will become very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10 hens in this regard.

8. Laroe1

Laroe1 New Egg

Nov 10, 2014
    I dont know how to remove a rooster that we have raised as a pet. I feel responsible for him.
    I dont, however, want him hurting the girls. This is a sad situation for me :(

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with the other posters--a bird crowing at this age is probably a rooster.

10. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Since he is a Silkie (even Silkie roosters are cute) you can probably re-home him. You could advertise him on Craigslist, or check with your local feed store and see if they know of anyone who might like to have him. They may even have a bulletin board you can post an ad on. Or you could check with your local 4h. Some of the students might want him. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by