crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by caroline02, Dec 25, 2008.

1. caroline02

caroline02 In the Brooder

Dec 20, 2008
    when do roos start crowing? Mine are 3.5 months old and I have heard nothing.

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Songster

My frizzle roos were crowing by then...what kind of birds do you have?

3. caroline02

Dec 20, 2008
    thanks for your reply. we have aracuana/white sussex, sussex/bantom, frizzle/aracuana....I think:/

4. Lobzi

Lobzi Crowing

Mine was at least 5 months before he started crowing or even looking like rooster.

5. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Songster

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I think it depends. I have a white leghorn roo that was crowing (not well) at 2 months. I have a Blue Ameracauna that was almost 6 months before he started crowing.

I have had many others that started at various ages.

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I think it really depends on the breed and/or individual bird. The youngest rooster that I had starting to crow was just under ONE MONTH old! I think that's probably unusual. Another rooster started crowing at about 3 1/2 months. I guess you never know! Genie

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hi caroline02, [​IMG]

I'm pretty new here, too, but I read more posts than I type! All of my roos have had various starting times- it just depends on the breed and the bird.

I should warn you- when he starts, you are going to be running to check on him, in a panic! New crowers sound like they are gargling, strangling, all sorts of weird sounds. It is hilarious!

[​IMG]

Don't worry about it, he'll learn. And if you have neighbors close by, you're gonna hear from them, too!

8. caroline02

Dec 20, 2008
    hehe. I will be sure to listen for that strangling roo sound. Heres hoping I see more eggs that I hear garglng!
    Thanks to you all.

9. dixiechick

dixiechick Songster

I should warn you- when he starts, you are going to be running to check on him, in a panic! New crowers sound like they are gargling, strangling, all sorts of weird sounds. It is hilarious!

[​IMG]

that is SO true. I had a Plymouth that sounded like a human clearing his throat..totally freaked me out--thought I was being stalked....turns out my SHE was a HE! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: