Crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mailman, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Mailman

Mailman New Egg

May 17, 2007
    Tennessee
    My recently purchased one-year-old Wyandotte rooster does not crow. At first he did a halfhearted imitation, but now nothing. He has two laying hens as companions, a comfortable house with plenty of stretching room. He seems healthly, and eats well. We are new to this, but love chickens. Any suggestions?

2. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Our Blue Laced Red is 24 weeks. He is in with 20 hens and 2 other roos(that crow). He made a half-hearted attempt at about 19 weeks and gave up I guess. Mostly he eats and sleeps like a big old fat dog.

3. Mailman

Mailman New Egg

May 17, 2007
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the reply. We had several golden laced last year, but predators got them, so I built a stronger coop. We waited for the county fair to make our selections, and could not wait 'til we had music in the morning again. We're very disapointed, but don't have enough hens for 2 roosters....... I have not seen the behavior, but one of the hens has been pecked on the back quite a bit, missing feathers. Any suggestions on that?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My husbands polish cockeral, Elvis, never crowed to the best of my knowledge. When we culled the extra cockerals he moved up in pecking order. He sits with the big fat white wyandotte pullets and sings very morning now.

5. LynnGrigg

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    You could try crowing yourself. Some of the other members do it. He might get the idea and especially if he doesn't have any physical or visible competition.

6. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Yeah, I go out there and crow for them, I look like a fool, I don't care I want my little roos to crow sooooo bad. [​IMG]

7. LynnGrigg

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    My neighbors are bound to think I'm nutz. I go out and sit and talk to mine.

8. Mailman

Mailman New Egg

May 17, 2007
    Tennessee
    My neighbors KNOW I'm crazy, so a little cock-a-doodle-doo in the AM on my part will just put the icing on the cake. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by