Crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cats Critters, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

My mom says that at least one of my roos has been crowing when she takes the dog out in the morning.
    But I don't her anything all day so whats up why are they crowing only in early morning! The only thing I can think of is the neighbors 3 roos but my mom says it coming from the coop.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  2. Cats Critters

Now I'm upset I ordered 2 BRs pullets got 4 BRs (all together 6 extra roos) But 3 out of the 4 have the roo feathers ( the ones that curl) And the last one Crowed in front of me this morning! [​IMG] [​IMG] :thun [​IMG]
    Also one of EEs that I ordered ( pullet) Is looking like a roo to [​IMG] :thun Ok i'm done ranting.

3. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Frustrating, isn't it? We ordered 24, received 29 and several turned out to be roos....in fact 3/6 of the SLW; not a good turn out! Luckily all but one roo has been rehomed, and at 13 weeks he crows very little; usually only in the morning shortly after coming out of the coop. I'm not sure why, but maybe they are just a bit more wary in the morning after being cooped up (no pun...but then again...) in their nighttime digs. I have never heard mine crow any other time. Maybe they're just announcing their presence and warning after the hiatus of overnight sleep?

4. sBrickmanHouse

sBrickmanHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    It may depend on the rooster.

We have an accidental rooster (an Easter Egger) and when he first started to crow, it was first thing in the morning. Now, several weeks later, he seems to randomly let one rip whenever he feels like it throughout the day.

So your morning crowing only routine with your rooster may change. Or it may not...

5. Cats Critters

well another one of the barred rock crowed yesterday.So now I have more roos then I thought I thought: We had 6 (the males for warmth) Then an EE "turned" into a roo and now my 2 BR are roos. So in all I have ......9 [​IMG] Some of the roos will be gone in a couple weeks it will be butchering time. [​IMG]

6. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Wow, that's a lot of roos to deal with. I think it turns out I had 6 or so of my lot of 29; not too bad. Most of them were rehomed when young and still gender neutral, the final one was rehomed with several same-breed pullets. I thought that was it, then my little Feisty girl turned into Sir Feisty Roo...so I have 1 roo; that I can live with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by