Crowless Roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Laigaie, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Laigaie

Laigaie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Fayetteville, AR
    Am I the only one with a roo who has never crowed? Ours is in the 5ish months range and never has made more noise than the pullets.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Do you have other roos? The dominant one may do all or most of the crowing.

3. Laigaie

Mar 4, 2011
    Fayetteville, AR
    Nope, he's our lone roo. I'm as glad as can be that he doesn't crow, too, since roos are illegal inside city limits. He was sold to us as a pullet, but huge comb, wattles, saddle feathers and great tailfeathers coming in now that he's molting really cemented it for us.

4. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    My ex-roo never crowed till much later than we expected. We were thinking we had a quiet one, too. Once he started, tho, he more than made up for it! I hope yours stays quiet!

5. Laigaie

Mar 4, 2011
    Fayetteville, AR
    Oh, I actually hope he starts crowing any day now. See, we're allowed to have four, so if he goes, we can add two very different pullets to our existing two RIRs. Still, I imagine the girlfriend won't let me eat him. *sigh*

6. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

My favorite roo didn't start crowing until after he was 6 months. Then we only caught him now and then unlike the others. Now he is just as noisy as the other two.

7. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I think one of ours was shy, he didn't crow in front of us for the longest time. We would hear him from the house and think was that the roo? But like everyone else said he made up for it.

8. Laigaie

Mar 4, 2011
    Fayetteville, AR
    On the weekends, I'm here all day, so I'm certain he's not crowing yet. Still, I'll talk to the girl and see if he doesn't turn into soup soon. Plus, this means two new girlies for us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by