Crown Ripped Off --- GRAPHIC PIC

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abbaschickens, Mar 22, 2012.

1. abbaschickens

abbaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Cedar Park, TX
    My 2 year Polish Crested Cochin mix hen had her crown ripped off by another broody hen yesterday. I cleaned it and applied triple antibiotic gel last night. I also gave her a penicillin shot.

She is outside in a pen with her 5 babies today. She looks like she is in a lot of pain. She is just sitting. I feed her scrambled eggs which she just ate a tiny amount.

What else can I do?

This month has sucked for us being chicken parents. If we lose her we will be at 5 lost in the last 30 days from a host of problems hawks, worms, mystery illness.

PLEASE HELP! I am ready to give up on chickens but I really love them.

Thank you in advance for you help. The help provided from my previous posts really helped.

[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Dont throw in the towel just yet. These types of injuries happen sometimes. There ARE worse things as you well know. I recommend injecting her with penicillin G procaine to prevent infection. Your feed store might carry it. If not, you can order it from Jefferslivestock.com or call them. Here's a link on how to inject it, go to post #2 and read what I wrote, then click the link provided: Good luck.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/586830/how-much-antibiotic-mg-for-injury

3. ange92040

ange92040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Lockhart, TX
    ouch poor baby. Don't give up. good luck and sounds like your being a good chicken owner wish I could help [​IMG]

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    comb injuries usually look worse than they are. They have a suprising amount of blood flow. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to support her...she may be a little shocky...I would just make sure she is warm, dry, and in a quite place.

You may need to inspect the remainder of the comb and see how well attatched it is...if it is loose, I would trim it till you reach tissue that is firmly attached to the rest. Flaps of tissue will slow healing. Is that picture before or after cleaning? Can we get a picture of the wound good and clean? It will be easier to see the damage.

5. abbaschickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Cedar Park, TX
    That is after the wound cleaning of last night. The slick stuff is triple antibiotic. I really do not see any loose stuff. There are a couple of places that are hard and black. It looks like feathers.

The wind is bad here today so I moved her inside. I tried separating her from her babies but she went crazy. So she has 5 ~ 6 week old babies with her. They are being so cute. They have laid with her and sat on her all day. It is the calmest I have ever seen them. So I think at this point I will leave them all together.

6. abbaschickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Cedar Park, TX
    Shock Shock that is the penicillin I used last night. My last chicken I had to give penicillin I gave for 4 days. How long for this incident?

7. abbaschickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Cedar Park, TX
    Thanks.

8. abbaschickens

Apr 13, 2010
    Cedar Park, TX
    Update: She is healed and growing her feather back. There is one section that was down to scalp. It is now covered with skin. It may just scar. But thank you for all the advice. I saved a treasured hen.

9. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    yayy!!!! chickens are miracle healers!!!!! mine had the back of her neck pecked at and it healed very fast and now she is still living the happy life as a chicken!! congrats on the success [​IMG]

10. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Glad to hear chickens can recover from this kind of awful thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by