Crowned Cranes on the loose, LOL >>>>>>> PICS NOW

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by chickenzoo, Dec 29, 2010.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Didn't get a pic but I let my Young cranes out to wander and explore the back yard. Unfourtunely we have no real grass at this time due to the drought and winter freezes, but they were happy to bounce about, jumping and spinning. They seem real curious about the Emu, keep going to the fence to watch them... maybe they remind them of momma. [​IMG]
    Chickens think they are under attach by funny looking hawks when they spread their wings or wing and a 1/2 I should say......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  2. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Haha can't wait to see some pics of the little ones growin up! I have always been interested in getting a pair of ACC but never have the cash sitting around to do soo.
    [​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I added pics now.....

4. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are some pretty birds

5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    WOW! Pretty!!!!!!!

6. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    very pretty birds
    love them.
    how much were they. interested in getting a pair or 2

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
  8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I got mine from someone I knew...... that was the ONLY way I was able to afford them as no one else ever seems to sell them as babies. I was very lucky. Now I have to find a unrelated match.... [​IMG]

9. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    Quote:well goodluck with finding another pair. hope you do.
    be sure to post more pictures. there so pretty.

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:I know Mcmurry Has them. I'm sure you could find them cheaper.
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/east_african_crowned_crane.html

no, McMurray, and all other "hatcheries" that sell them, just drop ship them from breeders around the country, all they really have is domestic fowl. This is why all their exotic prices are douple what a breeder would sell them to you for.
    A sexed yearling pair of e.a. crowned run about $1500. Looked at the link, they want that almost for just a single bird.
    Never go to a hatchery for stuff like this, you'll find them at half the price eventually and kick yourself for paying double for them. Plus, you'll never know whos line you have, so that you can breed properly. Like chickenzoo is trying to do, she knows where they came from, and how to look for unrelated birds now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by