Crowned Pigeons

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by ocdman, Sep 17, 2013.

1. ocdman

ocdman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2013
    Hi, I'm new to this site, but I've noticed in the past that people had questions about Victoria and Blue Crowned Pigeons----I've raised them for a number of years successfully if anyone has any questions about them, I'd be glad to help

ocdman
    [​IMG]

2. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    One day I'd love to have a pair of those. They are so pretty.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    They are so beautiful! I would love to have a pair but they are near impossible to find and extremely expensive. Are they sensitive to weather extremes? Our climate is fairly mild, no snow. But it does dip a little below freezing once or twice a year, and summers can be hot. Do they have any special requirements? I thought I read they only raise one baby a year.

4. ocdman

Sep 12, 2013
    They are a little cold sensitive, if I lived in the north I would have a small building attached to their enclosure with maybe heat tape on the roosts and straw on the ground. They can withstand short periods of below freezing temperatures, I'm not sure how much. We've been down to 28 degrees F, but only for a few hours. They only lay one egg, if you let them set it and raise the baby its about a 4 month time period, its possible to raise 2 young a year. If you take the egg or baby and hand feed, you can raise about 6 a year, but very difficult to hand feed and time consuming. We raise about a dozen each of the VC and BC each year. But really not very hard to take care of as far as requirements.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Here's a question, do you sell the babies? And if so, how much do you sell them for and where are you located?

6. ocdman

Sep 12, 2013
    Yes, we sell young birds after they are eating on their own. We hand feed most of them, but also let the adults parent raise at certain times of the year. They sell for 2500.00 each, we usually include shipping (United or Delta) and box for that price. At any given time we usually have 4 or 5 birds ready to go. We're in SW Florida

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Ah, that is the price i have seen. With how rare they are, i understand completely. Now, we just need to win the lottery. :)

If you felt inclined, would love to see more pictures. i just love looking at them.

8. I've only seen those once at zoos.
    May I ask, what's the difference between BC & VC?

Do you have any baby pics? Bet they look so adorable and awkward with little feathers sticking up outta their head

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by