Crowns turning white speckled

gladraffe

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Hi all, my two older gals passed away a week apart. Both their crowns were getting speckled white dots on them.

The photo with the chicken in the coop (img 1908) is one of the ones that passed away last week. She puffed herself out and it looked like there was dripping from her nose. The other chicken was in the corner, staring into space and then I found her dead inside the coop that night.

Now, I'm concern about the other two younger ladies because their crowns are not as red as they used to be. These photos of their crowns were taken today. Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_1908.jpeg
    IMG_1908.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1978.jpeg
    IMG_1978.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1974.jpeg
    IMG_1974.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1977.jpeg
    IMG_1977.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 7
Their combs look okay to me!

Are they laying right now? Usually, their combs aren't as red as when they are laying.

yes, they are both laying eggs! but I noticed that they are not as red as before and when the two passed away, I freaked out and want to make sure these other gals won't get it.

Were both of the chickens that passed away Red Sex Links? And how old were they?

These are the 2 that passed away. I don't know how old they were, but when we got them, they both had full crowns and were laying eggs. The 3rd photo is right before Teriyaki died (2nd photo)

Attachments

• IMG_7298.jpeg
    IMG_7298.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7874.jpeg
    IMG_7874.jpeg
    541.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1908.jpeg
    IMG_1908.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 6
The white speckles might be feather casings. My entire flock of 10 is molting right now, and they look like they have dandruff.

The runny nose is worrisome. Any others with that symptom?

Decreasing light levels, due to the onset of winter, can mean that these girls are probably going to go out of lay for the winter and then start back up in the spring. Are they molting?

The white speckles might be feather casings. My entire flock of 10 is molting right now, and they look like they have dandruff.

The runny nose is worrisome. Any others with that symptom?

No, Teriyaki, who passed away was the only one with a runny nose, but is it contagious?

Back
Top Bottom