Crows and Goslings

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Oregon Blues, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've been having crow problems. They've raided the goose nest and stolen eggs. They get into my compost pile and scatter things around and are especially interested in eggs shells.

My poor goose started out with 14 eggs and the crows have stolen all but 3 of them.

Now I worry about the crows taking the goslings when they hatch. The crows are notorious for stealing new chicks. Are new goslings small enough to be crow prey?

So I need to know if anyone has had problems with crows taking their goslings?

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Is she sitting on the eggs yet? Poor goose! I think once the babies hatch, the goose, and the gander (if theirs one with her?) Will be more protective of the babies. Good luck!

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    OB, yes they will try for the goslings too. We had to put netting over the doorways to the duck and goose houses. I left it in wide strips and the ducks and geese go in and out fine, but the crows have been stopped.

Shade cloth torn into strips and stapled in place would work as well.

4. squirrelbug

squirrelbug Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Manson, WA
    How big do the goslings have to get before they are safe from the crows and ravens?

Joanne

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Joanne,

I noticed they aren't messing with our 4 week olds, just those two weeks and younger. All are kept in playpens in the yard with shade cloth tops though as we also have hawks. as I said before we stopped the egg stealing by strips hanging over the door ways.

6. squirrelbug

May 19, 2011
    Manson, WA

My geese get to free range while we are outside...otherwise they have a pen that is 25' x 50' that they live in. Then at night, they are put into a dog kennel that is 5' x 10' that is totally enclosed. I can keep the babies in there (once they get here anyway). I just wasn't sure how long they would have to stay all cooped up.

This is my pilgrims first year and she has 10-12 eggs in her nest (inside her house inside of the dog kennel) and she has been so good about staying on them. She will come out for about 5 or so minutes and do some running around, so I am really hoping that she manages to hatch out a couple of them for all her efforts :) She has about 2 weeks left of her 32 days. I started counting the day she stayed on the nest.

Thanks again :}

Joanne

7. igotgoosed

igotgoosed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    North Texas
    Pilgrims [​IMG]

8. squirrelbug

May 19, 2011
    Manson, WA
    Yes, I agree! They are so sweet...well, most of the time, lol.

Clyde is finally settling back down some, but I still have to be the "big goose" at least once a day :) Bonnie just chatters at me while I visit with her on her nest.

I just adore both of them and love to watch them.

Joanne [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by