Crows are talking, chickens are listening!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Oct 28, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    All morning long the local crows have been raising a ruckus. It's not the normal crow calls, it's the call I've learned to associate with another bird - usually a hawk or a golden eagle - being chased by the crows.
    My chickens are paying close attention to this ruckus and have stayed hidden all morning, under the coop and nearby trees.
    No one can tell me that free range chickens don't pay attention and know when it's necessary to hide.

2. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    chickens may not be very 'bright' as i've heard but when it comes to surviving.... they know what to do. [​IMG]
    glad to hear they are paying attention..... i can't bring myself to let our free range. i'd be a nervous wreck.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I spend way too much time observing my chickens. They have the survival instincts down pat. They've been free ranging since they were 2 1/2 weeks old; on a limited supervised basis at first of course.
    Certain birds flying overhead they ignore. Others they hide from. My roo is very protective, always on the lookout for trouble.
    No one's going to invite him to a chess match anytime soon however. [​IMG]

4. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    My girls are the same, and I always wonder how they know!

They run and hide when a blackbird gives an alarm call or when the big ol' crows fly over. [​IMG]

How do they know to do that? They were brought up in a barn with no predators... How amazing is that!!!!

5. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    We live by a small airport. When a plane comes in kind of low, they all go running for the barn. Too funny. [​IMG]

6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My rooster will stand with his head tilted toward the sky and sometimes he crows and the girls run--- other times he just continues to eat. But if I jump up and say 'get' --they react as if I have crowed and run for cover! The roo will run over beside me and crows--like he's saying "Yea, what she said---now,Get"! It's so funny..

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by