Crows chased off hawk!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Morgan7782, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I was outside this morning with the girls and a bird landed on the wire. I've never seen one like this, so I assumed it was a hawk. I couldn't see it's beak clearly, but it was watching my backyard and so I threw a few pebbles at it and chased it off. Well once it flew off I could tell it was a hawk, and then a few monites later a bunch of crows/black birds were attacking it in the air. It was screaming and trying to get away but the crows stayed on it and chased it into a tree. LOTS of noise and finally it kinda flew off like it was lopsided or something. It sure took a beating. It was a smaller hawk, no clue what breed or anything, but glad it's gone. I will be keeping an eye out but luckily this block is FILLED to the brim with crows. I had no idea they were so helpful!

Any idea's for hawk deterrents? My birds are strictly free range and in the coop only at night.

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm not sure if there's much you can do to deter a hawk when free-ranging. He's a bird of pray and you're housing his dinner! Beware of the crows though. They're an excellent neighborhood watch, but they're scavengers. They won't pass up a meal when given the chance.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats good. I've read on BYC that Crows and Blackbirds are great at scaring off Hawks!! [​IMG]

4. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    My brother in law used to keep racing pidgeons. He would encourage the crows by feeding them to hang around as the yard as they kept the hawks away.
    They would chase relentlessly any hawk that came into the vicinity. [​IMG]

5. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Crows are nasty. I once saw two crows chasing an innocent owl in broad daylight... then my friend reported a mound of flesh and feathers about a block away the next day.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The crows around here keep both the hawks and the golden eagles at bay. The crows are always welcome on this farm.

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I throw out a little whole corn to keep the crows around. they do a great job at keeping the hawks at bay. They used to steal my eggs out of the chickens nest, but I hung a fake dead crow on the door to the barn & stopped them from stealing anymore.

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Great to hear! Crows are welcome here too then. They have not bothered any of my chickens, even the younger group. And they did give this hawk (I think a chicken hawk or something) a real lashing. Haven't seen her/him since [​IMG]

9. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Good idea- I used to scare away crows that were in hose range because I was afraid they'd harass the pullets, but now that I read this I'll welcome them [​IMG]

The jays, however, MUST stop dive bombing the chicks [​IMG]

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Crows have been known to carry off young chicks, so keep an eye on the fuzzybutts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by