1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crows?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by priss, Dec 15, 2009.

1. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Jus looked out the window to see my three little ducks looking nervous and two crows who are roughly the same size as them, on the ground either side of them. Anyone had crows attack their little ducks? Or are they just trying to be friends? Rory sort of looks like a magpie? I ran out and shooed them off just in case.

2. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Never seen them attack adult ducks, bit they will enjoy a young duckling for a meal. My Great Pyrenees LGD scares them away now.

3. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Okally good, so maybe they were jus chattin. I've seen the crows scare of birds of prey so usually I'm happy they're about but this just looked like an icky situation. And Mr. Snoogles has got a bit of a 'tude, didn't want him to get on the bad side of a crow!

4. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    By the way Le Canard, that is a NICE lookin doggy on your thumbnail.

5. Le Canard de Barbarie

Jul 19, 2009
    Quote:Thanks. She's my soft spot.

[​IMG]

6. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    This is not the first time I have seen a Great Pyranees dog mentioned where ducks/poultry are discussed...are these dogs innately good bird flock guards, or do they have to be specifically trained for that? I have a friend who has a dog that is part Newfoundland, are those good flock guards too? She says hers is...

7. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Ohhh I would like to know that because the husband is desperate for a dog and I'm desperate for something that will protect my ducks! Plus she is beeyooootiful. What her name? She looks sooo fluffy.

8. Le Canard de Barbarie

Jul 19, 2009
    Quote:Her name is Jackie and she was born June 8th which would make her about six months old. She has been living with my ducks 24/7 since she was six weeks old. Her double coat is extremely long and thick, well suited for cold, rain and snow in the Michigan Upper Peninsula. We have a symbiotic relationship, and I could not run my hobby duck farm without her. In return for her services of 24 hours a day protection, she has clean adequate housing, eats the finest foods and receives excellent medical care. Her breed, Great Pyrenees, tend to be extremely friendly dogs when around people. She is learning the trade of protecting my ducks instinctively, and this is becoming more apparent as she matures. The vet said she should be at least 90 pounds when she matures, and currently she is 70 pounds.

For most here on this board, a house dog trained not to eat or play with fowl would provide suitable protection during the day.

Sleeping with her charges in a open brooding pen as a young pup:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  9. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Quote:This, with a few exceptions. I've dealt with dogs whose prey drive was too high to ever be trusted around poultry. Others actually will take in the birds as their own - I have collies who even try to nurse them when they're little. Can't really breed-stereotype since there's so much variation, but I've found canine reactions to babies to be a pretty good yardstick. If they've got a tender or motherly tendency around tiny humans, kittens, puppies etc, chances are they can be good with poultry as long as they're introduced while the birds are young and it's made clear that the birds are your babies, not tasty morsels. Generally several nice sessions of sitting around with the chicks on your lap, cooing and petting them while promptly scolding for any mouthing works... just be aware that while mouthing is not acceptable, licking of the bum and/or face is a very good sign as long as it's not excessive to the point of drenching the little guys. [​IMG]

10. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    my dog always lick the ducks its so [​IMG] when they were little he used to knock them over with his tongue [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by