Crows

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lsuphillier1, May 12, 2008.

1. lsuphillier1

lsuphillier1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    I have an open roof on my pen and crows keep comin' in and robbing the eggs. Any suggestions?

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I think the best thing you can do is put a roof on. You probably already thought of that and were hoping for another answer, but crows are smart!

3. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Do you have a rooster? Mine would not allow a crow even close to the hens,as soon as they touched down in the yard he was there.
    Will

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Just cover the run...
    crows aren't dummies...they know where the free eats are...
    But if you have them, you'll always when the hawks are around...

5. lsuphillier1

lsuphillier1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    Quote:Yep, I have a roo. This is happening in my pen of RIR & Barred Rocks. I have a Barred Rock rooster. The other day I heard a whole bunch of cackling, I looked down where the pen is...and a crow was flying away with an egg in its mouth.

Also, it's not feasible to roof the whole pen as it is so large. However, I may consider enclosing the area where the nests are and keeping the chiks in there the 1st part of the day which is when most of them lay, and I am gone, and the crows enjoy a good meal.

Thanks for the comments.

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    We have a lot of crows around here, and Im always very wary when I hear them carrying on in the trees. It always means theres a hawk there that they are aggravating. Im far more worried about hawks than crows.

7. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I've learned to really like crows. (I do have a covered run) Crows do an outstanding job keeping the hawks away. And they can be very entertaining.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by