Crucial age?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicks Galore3, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I've been doing some planning for my future chicks- I am planning to integrate them around 4 months old, after being around the flock for about a month or so. At 5 months, we are going a lengthy vacation. I am getting a rooster, and I know 5-6 months are a crucial time. Will my chicks be wild if I don't have contact with them for 2 weeks? And, will all the pecking be settled?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

They'll be fine. If they are going to be raised in a grow out pen alongside the older birds then pecking order issues will usually be pretty minor when they do get together. I raise my birds that way and it makes integrating really easy. I would just integrate them long enough before you leave so that you can watch and see if there is going to be any bullying or other issues you need to be aware of before you go.

I don't personally think your being gone for a while when they are 4-5 months old will impact your chicks behavior that much. They'll get used to you being around again when you get back. As far as the rooster.. that is nearing the time when he's going to turn into a green eyed, hormone driven monster anyway. He may be a whole different bird when you get back! [​IMG] Just kidding, hopefully won't be that dramatic but their behavior does change a lot when they mature. I wouldn't worry about it. He's going to be what he's going to be whether the hormones hit while you are gone or not.

3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by