Crud, I've got an egg eater

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SkyWarrior, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Okay, what do I do? I have an egg eater. Today I opened up the barn and I did see a couple of eggs in one of the nests, but I was too busy to fish them out. When I got home, they were gone and three shells were mixed in the litter. [​IMG]

Mea culpa.

What do I do now? [​IMG]

2. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    What I did this winter was figure out who is eating the eggs and isolate the culprit for a few days. Make sure if they are laying to grab their eggs soon after so they don't get to eat them. After a few days put them back with the crew and watch for signs that they are continuing the behavior.

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Your egg eater may not be a chicken. Any of several small or young animals could have done that. Maybe you can play detective and figure it out.

If it is, rollaway nest boxes are about the only sure solution, if they consistently lay in a nest box, of course. Sometimes golf balls will discourage them.

4. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Dang. Now I have to figure this out. What a snotty bird! [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It happens and when they TEACH the others, you almost have to start over. [​IMG]

I have golf balls in every nest box now.

6. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I have a golf ball in the nest already. I may have to put more in. SIGH.

7. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Does this happen often? Chickens that eat eggs?!

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'd also up their protein for a few days. Some dry cat food, or some canned sardines as treats.

9. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Okay, I have them on 20% protein chicken food, but I'll dig through the leftovers and get them some more protein.

I don't think this is a rat because this is happening in just one pen. The other chickens are producing eggs okay and I haven't had signs of egg eating in any of the others.

10. Dialynn

Dialynn New Egg

Jun 9, 2007
    I have this problem, too, and can't figure out which one is my culprit. I have two hens and two young roosters isolated now and still had gunk on my eggs today. i've been watching to see if any have dried egg on their heads or beaks and none do. This just started this spring. Have given them oyster shells.They are on a layer pellet feed, I can't remember the % right now. I can't sit with them all day to see who is doing it! What else can I do?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by