1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cruddy Eye? New hatched chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmbadger, Jul 3, 2016.

1. kmbadger

kmbadger Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Temple, TX
    I got my chicks from Ideal Poultry. One of them has a goopy eye. Just one eye though, I've been cleaning it about once a day with a warm wet rag and drying it off, she'll keep it open right after I clean it for a little while then it closes and gets gunked up again. They were hatched on Wednesday, so about 4 days old now. She is eating just fine, and drinking just fine. Does not seem lethargic in anyway so just wondering what I can do to help her eye clear up. I'm guessing one of the other chicks pecked her, as she is not acting weird in any other way. She does enjoy the extra cuddles and attention though so I'm a little attached haha. (It could be a boy too young to tell lol)[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You can apply some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment in the eye a couple of times a day.
    Watch for signs of infection, pus/thick discharge, swelling, odors, etc.

Cleaning it with a wash cloth is good, but if you can get some saline, try flushing the eye, she may also have a small piece of dust/bedding in it that is irritating it as well.

3. kmbadger

kmbadger Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Temple, TX
    Thank you! I've been checking it daily, nothing like pus, just some like clear drainage. Can I find the eye gel at a Walmart? Didn't think about the bedding being an issue!

It's been like this since I got her home. Today seems to be much better, from what I can tell it's been partially open and mostly dry all day.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You may be able to find something comparable at Walmart. You may want to ask the pharmacist about OTC ophthalmic ointments, if not you can use plain neosporin.

My local Tractor Supply carries the Terramycin, but it may depend on what your store carries.

It does sound like it was pecked or had debris in it. Hopefully she will heal up just fine.

5. kmbadger

kmbadger Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Temple, TX

We've got a tractor supply here too, I will check there for it as well :) Thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by