Crude. I think Aretha is crowing!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AnotherKim, Oct 8, 2013.

1. AnotherKim

AnotherKim Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    I'm hearing something from my 3 m/o chicken that sounds oddly like it might be crowing. Darn. We thought Grace Jones might be a Ziggy Stardust, but she was just a goofy looking Polish. Then I noticed Aretha Franklin was getting a bigger comb and waddle than her blue Andalusian sister Janis Joplin. They are the same breed and age, so I thought that might be a bad sign. "She's" also the first out of the coop in the morning and the bravest of the group. Ugh.

I was told by the feed store that I could bring roosters back to them. I'm just sad. This is what happens when you get attached to your animals. Oh well. It has to be done. This is what happens when you have chickens in the city.

The sound isn't a complete "cock-a-doodle-do" yet. It's just the "A-roo" part. lol Does that make sense?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Ya, baby roos sound really funny when they are just starting to learn to crow. First few times I heard one of my polish crow I thought he had gotten his leg stuck in the wire. Sorry it looks like your girl is a guy. Can you post pictures just to double check? Andy pullets do get pretty big combs.

3. AnotherKim

AnotherKim Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    I have to figure out how to get the pictures from my phone to this site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by