Cruel Irony?

SouthernBYChickens

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
Alabama
Okay. I know I created a thread a month or so ago about feeding left over venison to chickens, and from what I could get from all replies were that chickens will pretty much eat anything offered to them. Well, here is my insignificant dilemma today. My wife got one of those rotisserie chickens at WM tonight for supper. We ate what we wanted and now there is some left over still hanging on the bones. We are not much for eating leftover chicken like that unless it is fried, SO, do I just set the leftover chicken carcass and all out there with the chickens or is that just cruel irony? Your opinions of whether or not the chickens will eat the chicken is the question, I guess. Thanks in advance you all!!

Just pick up the carcass before dusk, unless you want other predators in with your flock. I would hesitate to throw a chicken carcass in there any time of day, just because of that risk.

Just curious - what is anyone's opinion on beef livers? A couple of years ago, we bought a fourth of a cow from a farmer friend. It came with a lot of beef livers. I had been saving them for catfishing, but can't seem to find the time to fish these days. Do you think the chickens will like them and would you just throw them down on the ground or put them in a container? Thanks, again!!!
hu.gif

I don't know that i would feed it to them raw. Not that I would go to a lot of trouble to cook it either. I guess it would depend on your chickens. Rather than run the risk of wasting it all, I would try a small amount and see how they do with it. Like everything else - trial and error. LOL

Just curious - what is anyone's opinion on beef livers? A couple of years ago, we bought a fourth of a cow from a farmer friend. It came with a lot of beef livers. I had been saving them for catfishing, but can't seem to find the time to fish these days. Do you think the chickens will like them and would you just throw them down on the ground or put them in a container? Thanks, again!!!
hu.gif

Beef livers should be fine. Keep in mind that too much iron can lead to problems with toxicity (for humans, too). Since the livers would be high in iron and other trace metals, I would offer them sparingly and spaced out over time. It wouldn't take as much iron to raise levels to high levels in an 8 lb chicken as it would in an adult human.

Whenever I have a chicken carcass I make a pot of stock, reduce it somewhat and put it in the fridge. I always try to make the time to make my own broth, heck, the cans can be a dollar routinely and only rarely around here for 70 cents a can. I also like knowing what I am ingesting. I don't like canned things, too many chemicals in the lining of the can.

My chickens go nuts when I put a carcass out there left over from making stock. It's hilarious. Kinda hard to find all the bones when they're done but I don't mind.

My chickens go nuts when I put a carcass out there left over from making stock. It's hilarious. Kinda hard to find all the bones when they're done but I don't mind.

So I put the left over chicken carcass out there this morning before work. Total chaos. They went crazy over it. They would grab a piece and run way over to the other side of the pen to eat it. I'm sure to find only bits of bone when I get home. BTW - galanie, what breed is that beautiful light blue/grey big momma in your avatar??

Whenever I have a chicken carcass I make a pot of stock, reduce it somewhat and put it in the fridge. I always try to make the time to make my own broth, heck, the cans can be a dollar routinely and only rarely around here for 70 cents a can. I also like knowing what I am ingesting. I don't like canned things, too many chemicals in the lining of the can.

Very nice variegated hosta in your avatar!

Back
Top Bottom