Cruel Lesson Learned

Sherri1990

Songster
Jun 4, 2020
I am hoping my post helps someone else. My 12 week old buff Orpington appeared injured last Friday. She was protecting her wings and had some difficulty turning her neck to the left. Her tail was down but she was eating and drinking and seemed... sore. I kept her by my side in the house all week to give her time to rest and relax. All week she ate and drank but wasn’t social. She wanted to be held but didn’t want to hang out with her flock. I could see she was not able to dust bathe herself so I helped her pick through her feather. We noticed she was curling her toes on Tuesday but just thought she was being quirky. She still ate and drank but wad increasingly getting more tired. Still normal poops. Still spoke softly to me. I put her to bed in the crate last night and when I woke her up this morning her balance was off. This was 6am. By 10 she could not stand. By 12 her pupils were dialted. By 2 she was paralyzed from her neck down. By 3 I had her at the vet euthanizing my little friend. Mareks disease took the sweetest chicken I have ever known. The lesson in this was an injury might not be an injury. Know your chickens behavior. I thought because she was vaccinated she would never get this cruel disease. I let my guard down, the outcome for her would not have changed but had I known this was my last day with her I would have held her at my heart all day. Rest In Peace my sweet little sugar. Sometimes a chicken can really take your heart. I am devastated.

Back
Top Bottom