Cruel to keep a chicken with twisted legs an curled toes??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eggorchicken, Aug 24, 2013.

1. eggorchicken

eggorchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Just wondering about one of my chickens, she is POL but hasn't started laying yet but I dont really mind if she does or doesn't lay, she is in a house on her own no perches just old clothes and chick water thing and feeder, she uses her wings as balance and as her legs she is so friendly, she's more human than chicken id say! Although I hatched her from one of a batch of 12 eggs she's light sussex X with some laying hen the guy I got the eggs off had a cock and loads of hens every breed. She's black and white, when she was a chick I got told she had spraddle leg and curled toes so I put a bandade on her legs to keep the from going too wide, and I made cardboard shoes for her. They didn't work. So she's been on her own ever since she's around 20wks.

Any comments at all PLEASE POST!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    My opinion is she is healthy and happy and not in pain it isn't cruel at all. Just be careful that other chickens don't get to her - they will seek out weakness and injure or even kill the weakest member of the flock. Good luck to you!

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I agree with Redsoxs. And maybe you could post a photo of her feet on "emergencies, diseases,illness, cures thread."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by