1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I invited my new neighbours around to my house today. I keep many pet birds - which I also breed on a small scale and sell to a local pet shop. I showed them my chickens and then took them to see my birds, as I thought they would be interested in them.

They both suddenly turned really rude and they seemed appalled by me keeping birds in cages. The made some nasty comments and made me feel really upset.

I love my birds and take great care of them - their diet, vitamins, keep them spotlessly clean, allow them to bath each day, fresh fruit and veg, natural perches. They are in large cages with plenty of room. All of them are very healthy, beautiful feathers and most have nests or eggs / chicks. I keep finches, ring neck doves, zebra doves, and lady gouldian finches. I live in Thailand and their cages are hung outside my house under the shelter of the roof overhang,. They get the early morning sun to sunbath in, and then its cool the rest of the day.

After these people went home I sat in the garden and watched my birds - they all seemed happy. They were going about their normal activities, singing, playing etc. None seemed unhappy,none were trying to get out of the cages or pacing up and down. The doves were cooing and preening each other, the finches feeding their chicks and bathing. I am sure they don't care they are in cages.

I tried to explain to these people that they are domesticated birds - born in captivity. But they told me they should be free to fly in the jungle where they belong. The thing is I am worried I am being cruel now! I am thinking too much. Its just that their are the 3rd lot of people to tell me I am wrong to keep birds in cages.

I used to have an aviary 3 years ago, but I demolished it and housed the birds in the cages because the different pairs would fight each other at breeding time.

2. Cool Peeps

Cool Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    That is not considered cruelty don't judge a book by its cover

3. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    They seem to forget that the cages are for the birds' protection. Don't let their ignorance bother you :)

4. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Ok, heres my opinion for what it's worth! I have a bird in a cage, it is a very large standing cage with loads of toys, perches etc, I rescued him at a year old and he is now very elderly, he was in a small cage when I got him.He used to be out of the cage most of the time but he worries me now as he is so old so he stays in and is perfectly happy in a sunny window, I personally would not have a bird that couldn't have at least some time to fly around and have a very large cage, if your cages are hanging then they cannot be large? As you say, your birds are captive bred and are showing all the signs that they are happy, they certainly seem to have a better life than a lot of captive birds, if you feel happy with what you are doing then that is what matters, you know your birds and you know that they are happy, my preferences are just because I like to see all creatures living the most natural life possible, that doesn't mean it is always best for the creature to be that way, just that I don't want to see it, hope that makes sense X

5. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    oh lord! if somebody came to my house and said all that stufff i would have...oh lord i shouldnt have read this now im all upset them cotton picket people dont know what there are talkin bout dont pay em no mind

6. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Here are my ringnecks on my back wall, when I used to let them out. They would go back to their cage on their own. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Well, all I can say is, let them out as much as possible in your house and they are having a pretty good time, free flying and the safety of a cage which they obviously see as their home if they go back voluntarily, my little bird used to do the same when he was tired, keep up the good work and ignore ignorant peoples opinions X

8. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    thanks everyone. I just got so upset about it because I was shocked about their strong and rather aggressive way they objected to it. I will just keep my hobby to myself and not show anyone else my pets!

I should have told them they are cruel keeping a pet dog as, using their way of thinking, it should be running free in the forest with the wolves living a natural wild life, and they are mean keeping it contained in their garden.[​IMG] I bet they buy factory farmed chicken and other meat too without thinking about what real cruelty is.

Thanks for everyone helping me calm down. Phew. Feel better now.

9. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    haha i love the thing about the dog!!!!!!!!

10. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful ringnecks!! We have an AmBudgie (Parakeet). She goes where she pleases inside the house (her wings aren't clipped). She seems to know where she can go and be safe and where she can't (IE: the stovetop, etc lol). She's a very healthy, happy little bird with zero restrictions on where she's allowed to fly. She has the run of the entire house and all rooms therein.

That being said - her favorite place to be is in her cage. That's her home and she knows it. That's where her perches are, her dishes, her toys and her blankets...she loves it in there. I think that speaks for itself.

Don't you pay any mind to those neighbors of yours (who probably haven't the slightest experience whatsoever with birds!)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by