1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crumble or pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by havi, Aug 15, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I went to TSC today to get more chicken feed and was thinking about getting the pellet feed instead. Has anyone used both of them and can tell me what you thought? I know I need to put my feeder up a little higher(they waste a bit) but was thinking about switching to the pellets. It was a little cheaper too. Just curious..[​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Pellets are great. Most people use pellets for large breeds and crumbles for small bantams. There is less waste with the pellets.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I agree with alot less waste with pellets. My father-in-laws barred rocks had more crumbles for bedding then the actual bedding for bedding. [​IMG]

4. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I have heard that it is better to use the crumbles in the winter because it will take them longer to eat it and entertain them more. Don't know if that is true, but that is what I have heard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by