CRUMBLE OR SCRATCH

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sam Royall, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Sam Royall

Sam Royall New Egg

Nov 30, 2012
    I HAVE A QUESTION I HAVE A 50 LB. FEEDER IN MY COOP THAT I KEEP FILLED WITH LAYING CRUMBLES I JUST ADDED A 25 LB. FEEDER THAT I FILL WITH HEN SCRATCH, THE HENS SEEM TO LIKE THE SCRATCH MORE THAN THE LAYING CRUMBLES.
    MY QUESTION IS WILL MY EGG PRODUCTION STAY THE SAME WITH THE GIRLS ON SCRATCH AS THE CRUMBLES??
    SAM IN CONROE TEXAS

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    The scratch isn't as nutritious as the laying blend. Scratch is usually used as a treat. Throw a little out to them but keep the laying crumble or pellets in their feeders for the continuous feeding. Of course, I usually get grains like oats to my girls since there is less waste. Oats get wet, the sprout and they eat them. Crumbles or pellets get wet, they are useless. :(

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hey Sam.

Scratch isn't really intended to be fed through a feeder. Just toss a wee bit, now and then, for them to "scratch at" thus the name. It isn't a complete feed. It can impact their over all well being and yes, their egg laying, if that's all they gorge on for a week or two. And…. gorge they will. Like kids getting hooked on McDonalds and avoiding their good food, fruits and vegetables. Pretty much the same.

Might want to check that keyboard, looks like you Caps Lock key got stuck again. I hate when happens to me. [​IMG]

4. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    If the birds eat too much of the scratch, then the eggs will probably have thinner shells and be very fragile. The hens will probably still eat some layer feed, but they will more than likely go after the scratch. I would remove the scratch feeder and simply offer it as a treat.

5. RazeNCain

RazeNCain Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2014
    For the winter we mixed in a 5lb bag of scratch into a 50lb bag of layer feed. Getting 5-6 eggs consecutively each day with only 6 hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by