Crumble vs Pellets

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by PimpMommaMeep, Dec 18, 2014.

1. PimpMommaMeep

PimpMommaMeep Just Hatched

Dec 7, 2014
    Layer feed. Crumble vs Pellets,which do you prefer & why? Which do your girls prefer?

2. 5SweetChicks

5SweetChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    I prefer pellets because that is less mess. But my girls prefer crumble so that is what I buy :)

1 person likes this.
  3. LaylaFlora

LaylaFlora Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Pellets because crumble gets scratched into the ground and WASTED!!!!

My birds show no preference.

1 person likes this.
  4. binky1902

binky1902 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2014
    Crumbles all the way. I was desperate one time when the feed store was waiting on crumbles to come in and bought some pellets, and it didn't go too well. The chickens went on strike and didn't eat for two days. I ended up having to lay out the feed on concrete and take a sledge hammer to it to chop it up. It was pretty funny, they all grabbed one, and tried to chew it up. After they couldn't, they just quit trying and refused to swallow it whole until I grinded it up.

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Personally, I prefer crumble, but it depends on the flock. If you have small standards or any bantams, I would recommend crumble, because pellets are hard for them to eat and digest. If you have a flock of larger birds, pellets would work better since the nutrients are more compact and less feed is wasted. Also, sometimes chickens can choke on pellets, especially if they haven't eaten in a while and they engulf there food, not swallowing. I would stick with crumble feed to play it safe, but it really just depends on your bird's size.

1 person likes this.
  6. PimpMommaMeep

PimpMommaMeep Just Hatched

Dec 7, 2014
    Thanks. I have my first ever chickens & they are 10 cinnamon queens.

7. kgby13

kgby13 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    I mix it for my mixed flock. Some of the birds prefer crumble and some pellets

1 person likes this.
  8. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Pellets, less waste.

They don't have a choice, and they never complain.

9. myfarm4579

myfarm4579 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Do they make a "all flock" feed in pellet form?

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

My Tractor Supply doesn't carry All Flock in pellet form. I don't know if they made in pellet form or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by