crumbles and or pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by criddle76, Sep 16, 2012.

1. criddle76

criddle76 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    i feed my girls & guy crumbles when or should i be feeding them pellets

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Both does not matter, but I like crumbles, they eat it better !

3. angelchix

angelchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Karns City, PA
    I like the pellets better. To me, it seems like the feed lasts longer. I have noticed when you feed crumbs and they scratch it out of the feeder where it gets trampled and wasted. But what I have noticed with pellets is that when they get scratched out of the feeder, shyier birds will come up to get them while the other remain in the feeder. [​IMG]

4. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    i like pellets, it seems the crumbles get turned into a pile of powder they dislike, they utilize the pellets batter - less waste

5. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Thanks for asking this question because I was thinking of switching to pellets. However that crumble 'dust' does not have to be wasted. I started adding just enough water to turn it into a mush and the flock eats it just the same and love it more I think than they do the crumbles. So don't throw away the dust. just add a little water and try it with your chickens.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. sezjasper

sezjasper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    That's a good idea, I'm going to try that! What I've been doing with my "dust" is sprinkling it over their yogurt and my girls love it...but my idea doesn't work well when I've run out of yogurt!

7. joebcarr

joebcarr New Egg

Oct 30, 2012
    Cleveland, NY
    i never thought of recycling the dust, Great idea!! i bought a bag of pellets a few months ago(wasn't paying attention and bought the wrong bag). but the chickens like it as much and they tend not to waste any. if they drop a pellet someone will eat it, not with the crumbles. a bag or crumbles used to last 2 weeks now its just under 3 with pellets....

8. PAchickengirl

PAchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I had pellets first, then tried the crumbles. I've noticed more waste with the crumbles. I had to buy a different feeder, as they kept knocking the crumbles out and leaving it. Was wary o f scraping off the floor for reuse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by