Crumbles or Pellets ?

Hi, been feeding the hens crumbles since they have been chicks. Almost bought a bag of pellets yesterday but decided to stick with crumbles. Are there any reasons / rules to use one or the other ?
Not really. crumble is basically chopped up pellet. pellets tend to be less mess. What's important is what's in the pellet or crumble. folks use a variety of different methods based upon their situation. Personally, mine get 3-4 weeks of starter then go to an 18% grower until they start laying, then i'll generally transition them to a lower calcium layer and provide oyster shell and grit on the side, free choice.

I think the crumbles take longer to eat the pellets may make less mess. Ive always done crumbles but im also considering pellets next time i buy food. If you have bored chickens stick with crumbles. Thats All i really know. Maybe some expert will have more info for us:D

I switched my girls over to pellets, pellets just don't make as much of a mess and they seem to eat it just fine. They still wait for me with excited anticipation when it's feeding time. I think it's personal preference, but I would pay attention to what is inside the food. That's what is important.

Back
Top Bottom