Crumbles or Pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kybeagle, Aug 19, 2010.

1. kybeagle

kybeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    I have 10 EE, 5 NN, and 5 BR's that are 15 weeks old. Just wondering when I should start feeding layer feed and what the pros and cons are of feeding pellets vs. crumbles. I am now feeding starter and grower which is crumbles but it seems so powdery. I thought maybe the pullets wouldn't be as wasteful but just wondering what you folks feed?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Pellets are not as wasteful as crumbles but my hens hated the pellets and quit laying when I fed it to them until I gave them back the crumble.

3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I feed both. Prior to getting tons of bantams I fed pellets once the girls were about 6 months old. I definitely prefer that. WAY less waste. Then I bought a bunch of bantams who had been raised on mash and couldn't figure out the pellets....I currently feed both. One feeder has pellets, one feeder has crumble and there are a few feeding stations around the yard with crumble for the younger birds.

Sure seems like a lot more food makes it into the bird with the pellets.

4. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mine will not eat pellets. ??????? I tried mixing them but they made more of a mess.
    Here the crumble is 1% more in protein than the pellets

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    My chickens waste Layer Crumbles - I'd go with Layer Pellets they can't waste them as easy. [​IMG]

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Mine will eat both. I put mine on layer crumble at 18 & 19 weeks old. I like the crumble because it makes them work more for the same amount of calories. I just think they enjoy it more. Mine don't waste any either so I don't see the point of going to pellets.

7. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I know what you are going through. I get organic, local soy and corn free mash. The protein is a fresh, local fish meal which is considered the best. My five girls are 17 weeks old but as dual purpose gals I won't give layer yet. Its best to wait until they are at Point Of Lay to get Layer feed with calcium as they don't need it before (actually can damage the kidneys in young chicks). I will start giving layer sometime after 20 weeks of age when their combs are really red and plump. [​IMG]

I would prefer a crumble myself as its not as fine but they don't make crumbles or pellets in this food and its remarkable stuff. I just feed the mash mixed with some water every morning so they get all the nutrients and leave the dry feed out all the time (our coop is rat proof). They LOVE the wet mash and they are in excellent health. Pellets are good but they eat too fast for my comfort. I like them to take more time and enjoy it.

I will start giving layer sometime after 20 weeks or so as these begin laying after that.

8. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Mine like crumbles, didn't care for pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by