Crumbles or Pellets

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1234duck, Jan 16, 2011.

1. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

Is Crumbles & Pellets the same thing? Common since to me it sounds like they would be 2 diff. things. But, on this bag of food /a cross the front it says laying pellets & on the paper label/tag it says 16% laying mixture and it says crumbles. ~*Is this"16% Laying Mixture" good/healthy for ducks? It has>>>crude protein,not less than 16% crude fat crude fiber calcium ect.... The reason I'm asking is we have a bag of this already & didn't want to throw it away. I Can buy some thing else for the MAIN source of Duck Feed. ~ PLEASE LET ME KNOW, I'm going to the Store... [​IMG] Thanks, Julie

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Crumbles & pellets can be the same feed, but in different form. Pellets are larger, cylindrical pellets of food. Crumbles are the same stuff but crumbled up. [​IMG]

If it's laying feed by a good brand (Purina's a good bet, Nutrena's okay), it's fine for them. I prefer pellets because they're easier to handle and the birds waste less. Some folks prefer crumbles. Personal choice.

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I switched my pekins over to pellets after seeing how much of a mess they made with the crumbles. There was just way too much waste. If you already have a bag open, I wouldn't throw it away. 16% protein is supposed to be good for grown ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by