Crumbles or Pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ThinkingChickens, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I know a lot of people consider this personal preference. I've been feeding crumbles but it seems like there's a lot of waste. Do your chickens eat the pellets? I'm heading to the feed store today to get some more feed and I'm trying to decide what to get. Oh, and they have baby chicks! Must..... resist..... the baby..... chicks!

2. cgtara3

cgtara3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Traverse City, MI
    Ours preferred crumble. We tried both. For variety, we mixed water in, and they ate the crumble with less waste.

3. mistymeadowchicks

mistymeadowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2010
    I switched to pellets which mine seem to waste less. I also added a 5 gallon bucket lid under the feeder to catch what they spilled.

4. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    We've always used crumbles but accidently bought pellets the last time. Made no difference to the girls. I mix the crumble dust from the bottom of the bag into their oatmeal or pasta so there's no waste.

5. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    We prefer pellets. Less waste.

When we did do crumble I put a huge tray under the feeder to catch waste. I was surprised how much those hens were chucking out. If we didn't have the tray there, then the waste would be lost in the deep litter.

6. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Awesome! Thank you guys. I can always count on everyone for a quick reply. =0)

7. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I prefer pellets much more myself. The birds clean up whatever they knock out of the feeder and I can just throw them in the yard if I want to.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I JUST changed to pellets last week. At first I thought the chickens weren't eating it, and worried about that. But apparently they ARE eating it (chucked a handful out, they scarfed 'em down, later spilled some filling a feeder, they scarfed those down) so it must just be a whole lot less waste. My feed store folks have been suggesting it for my adult flock for some time, and I just stayed with crumbles until recently.

Shoulda listened to 'em earlier.

9. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    My chickens waste the same with crumbles or pellets - they knock it all onto the cement no matter what I do so I just get whichever bag I grab now.
    Caroline

10. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    I have less waste with pellets and prefer them, but I understand that the availability of one versus the other is a geographic or regional thing. At our local feed stores Flock Raiser is only sold in crumble form; however, Layena only comes in pellets. Anyone else notice this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by