Crumbles or pellets?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by This_chicks_place, Jun 19, 2011.

1. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hello all, I'm new to chickens and it's just about the time to switch from starter feed to layer. Whats your choice, layer pellets or crumbles and why?

2. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    I have much less feed loss with pellets. I think it depends on the size of the birds (bantam or standards). Also the age is a factor. If you switch to pellets too soon they will flip it out on the floor looking for feed the size they want.

3. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    None of my chickens ever cared for pellets - tried it once and had to throw the bag out for the wild critters. Perhaps they were just use to the crumble. If you do get pellets, I recommend you start with a small bag!

4. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That is a GREAT idea! I have hens and I wanted to try pellets when they are old enough but was afraid they'd not eat them. A small bag wouldn't be such a loss.

5. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    And you can mix the new feed in with the old before it runs out. That way there is a smoother transition.

6. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    Mixing any new feed in with the old as a transition is probably smart no matter what you're switching to.

7. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    We use pellets. We've had problems getting the crumbles to fall down into the feeder correctly.[​IMG]

8. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I feed crumbles, my girls wouldn't eat the pellets and I wasn't willing to wait them out until they were hungry enough to eat the pellets.

9. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I bought a bag of pellets last fall when we switched to layer feed, and they rejected it out of hand (foot?). I used it up by mixing it with hot water and making a mash for them in the mornings and evenings. They loved it, and it got used up. I just bought another bag of pellets. I want to try it again because of all the waste with crumbles. I figure that I make mash anyway, and if they don't like the pellets, I'll just soak them up.

10. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for all the replys and good advice. I bought a bag of pellets, of course they only had 50 lbs, threw some out to the girls in the run and they seem to love it. Whew [​IMG] Now we're just waiting on some h'eggs! (Hen's eggs!)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by