1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crumbles or Pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Acre of Blessings, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Which do you prefer to feed your chickens? I have tried both and they seem to like either. Pellets are less waste but crumbles look to be easier to digest. Any advice?

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    The chickens seem to like the crumbles better. I give them whatever is on sale.

3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Pellets are my choice. Less waste means less bags of food. They digest them just fine. Food is getting too expensive to waste all over the ground.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Mine love pellets!

5. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I feed pellets to my white leg horns and crumbles to my bantams. The bantams waste some of the crumbles but have a hard time eating the pellets.

I doubt one is better than the other. None of them go hungry.

Darin

6. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

In all likelihood they are the EXACT same product: The crumble was sent through a crumblizer or was a "short-cut" pellet.

Jim

7. Finn

Finn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Burnett County , Wi
    What Elderoo said...usually the mill by me has crumble/mash/flakes or whatever they want to call it from day to day is cheaperer than REGULAR (as they say) feed.....the boids love it and have never complained.

Course walking by with a hatchet and their feed bucket may have influenced them (I was trimming branches)[​IMG]

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Course walking by with a hatchet and their feed bucket may have influenced them (I was trimming branches)

I love it! Welcome aborad, Finn!​

9. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    All my bantams, including silkies, dutch, and modern game bird eat pellets with no problem at all. Always have, probably always will. They waste practically none at all. It takes less to fill them an the bag lasts longer.

10. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I think when it comes to the laying mash that I will getthe pellets, due to the fact of less waste. Plus my birds have started free ranging all day so that will help alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by