1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crummy weather delaying egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by classicsredone, Jun 8, 2011.

1. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    We have had very unusual spring weather here in Northern CA. In fact, it has rained most weeks straight through to this week. Normally we have rain only from October - April, and not much if anything in between. Will an extended dark, rainy period delay a chicken's nature development some?

2. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    How old are your chickens? some for some reason dont lay untill 30 weeks......But I read on here that if your chickens put off laying you will have much less problems with retaining an egg! I will wait for mine to lay if that is the case!

3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I'm going through the same thing here in northern Nevada. My girls are sooo bummed out on this weather!

4. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    They're five months. My barred rocks look ready, but no eggs yet. My hamburgs should be laying by now, but they haven't gotten comb development yet. It has been seriously funky weather for us. We should have had warming in March and hot temps by April. Two days ago it was 60* and pouring rain, and it was 80 today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by