crumpled comb white leghorn- added photos!

AlineD

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Wyoming
Hi all,

So a couple of days ago I noticed that one of my white leghorns has a very droopy comb. The rest of the flock (including two more white leghorns and 5 more mixed) are all fine. She is acting fine otherwise, eating, etc. But her comb has basically crumpled waaaaay over-- not like it was before at all. It seems even worse today than it was a couple days ago. It is the same color as usual- a dark red. I don't think it's frostbite, as it hasn't even gotten below zero here yet, and the others are all fine. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Hi all,

So a couple of days ago I noticed that one of my white leghorns has a very droopy comb. The rest of the flock (including two more white leghorns and 5 more mixed) are all fine. She is acting fine otherwise, eating, etc. But her comb has basically crumpled waaaaay over-- not like it was before at all. It seems even worse today than it was a couple days ago. It is the same color as usual- a dark red. I don't think it's frostbite, as it hasn't even gotten below zero here yet, and the others are all fine. Any ideas?

How old is your bird? Can you take, and post, a photo so that we can see what you are seeing?

She's possibly going through her first moult, so 17, 18 mos.?

I will take and post a photo tomorrow....

Here are photos-- the first is an image of the hen with the crumpled-looking, droopy comb. The second photo is for contrast. It's one of the other leghorns, next to the hen with the droopy comb. The droopy-combed hen's comb used to look like the other's.

That is really odd, i'm curious to know others input? Part of me thinks cold weather could cause this? but i'm honestly not sure. I just know birds with larger combs in the cold can run into some problems as you mention frostbite.

She to young to molt but it could be a fungle thing i have to look and see what i can find but thas really odd i have leg horns and its hasnt been below freezing yet but close to freezing and non of their combs are like that at all. And frost bite i would expect to be black.

Thanks for the info. Her comb is getting paler, just a little bit, so I'm just waiting to see what happens... She is still acting fine.

Still no difference. I wonder if it could be a vitamin deficiency or something...
My suggestion is googling it. Put in chicken pale comb, lots of things come up , to give you possible ideas. Focus on one thing than focus on the next a collapse comb. Hope that helps. I did a little search and saw some similar pictures and people mentioning broody can cause it. But leghorns are not known to go broody and i'm not sure if yours has? that was just one link i pulled. it could be a disease, I'm not sure. keep us posted. I did want to say in looking at your two photos the other leghorn comb seems to have a whitish look to it? can you rub the white off? it looks kind of fungal , i'm not sure sorry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom