crushed beak

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StPaulGrl, Sep 26, 2012.

1. StPaulGrl

StPaulGrl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    Massachusetts
    One of my indian runner ducks was attacked by something today and has a few puncture wounds in his neck and a crushed beak. He can open it a little bit but won't eat. My vet don't treat fowl so i was looking for suggestions on how to get him to eat. I don't want to force his beak open as it looks extremely painful.

2. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

I rescue birds and I have had a couple of ducks and a goose with a pushed in top beak. They can eat just fine like that. I would say let him rest a couple of days and if he still isn't eating then either give him some baby food with a dropper or put him down. Chances are he will eventually eat and be just fine! =)

3. Macro

Macro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Los Angeles County
    How bad is it crushed? Do you have a picture?

Last time I had to force feed a duck I used a needle less syringe and some food that I added water too until it was soft enough to suck up with the syringe. Before I had the syringe, I used a straw. XD

But I agree with the above poster. Try letting him rest and just monitor closely. It could be he's just not in the mood to eat.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Something to try in the meantime might be gruel, which is the water from soaking oats or wheat. It picks up some of the nutrients and starches but is still liquid. And poultry nutri-drench for additional calories and nutrients.

So sad to read of the injury.

[​IMG]

Prayers for you both.

5. StPaulGrl

Sep 26, 2012
    Massachusetts
    thank you for the reply. He is trying to clean his feathers but cant open the beak any more than 1/16th of an inch. I'm going to try to feed him moisten grain today.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Make sure he has a bucket of water to rinse his bill with when you give him food. Poor baby, hope he makes a full recovery. [​IMG]

7. StPaulGrl

Sep 26, 2012
    Massachusetts
    I just got home from work and he's quite spunky but, the wound on his back is festering. I am giving him diluted vinegar baths which is a natural antiseptic and wont harm him.
    His beak is so torn up it's painful to look at him. I'm trying to contact a vet that will at least clean his wounds better than i can. He didnt touch any of the food i left him today.
    His bathtub time he seems to like so it's gonna be a trip to the tub soon again. Thanks for you reply.
    I'm being Hopeful on his recovery!!!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe make it more liquidy [sp] than solid and maybe he will try to drink it. I don't know what your fly situation is this time of year but thats a big concern for flies to get at it and lay eggs then you have maggots to deal with. Hoping for full recovery [​IMG]

9. StPaulGrl

Sep 26, 2012
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    Here is my Indian Runner with the crushed beak. :(

10. AKnewbie

AKnewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    Sorry about your duck. :(
    Have you talked to local raisers in the area? Or usually the feed store is a good resource.
    When I came on here a couple of weeks ago when my duck was attacked by a hawk, I was advised to consider using antibiotics if there were puncture marks. Maybe someone else can comment on this?
    Also, I put electrolytes in their water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by