1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crushed Chick - Update on Smashy - new pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lorimary, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Lorimary

Lorimary Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Vista, CA 10+ years
    [​IMG] I set a waterer (one gallon chick) on a baby and didn't find her for 7 hours. She was fairly flat, but the edges of the waterer were partially on the bedding. We gave her water and warmed her. She is up and pecking but very slow and a little wobbly. Any chance that she can survive? She did poop twice and can stand on her own. Advice?

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    will be crossing fingers for you - time will only tell

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Was the poop normal? She's probably just disoriented and exhausted. I think she would have died under the waterer before you found her if it was heavy enough. Keep her in a well ventilated box and definitely keep her warm. Check for any broken bones. If she survives the night, she'll probably be fine.

4. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    There was another post on here recently about the same thing and her chick was fine... I don't know how they survive something like that, but they do...Just keep a close eye on her and make sure she's drinking. [​IMG]

5. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Welcome to BYC.
    Chicks can be very resilient. Keep her warm, make sure she drinks and eats regularly and hopefully she'll make it.
    If she lasted that long with the waterer on top of her, she's a fighter! Things like this happen to the best of us, I'm just glad you found her and tended to her quickly when you did.
    Some TLC for a few days should get her caught back up with the rest of your chicks. If she needs it, you can give her some scrambled egg and some plain yogurt with active cultures for an added boost of protein and to get her immunities up. Please post and let us know how she does.
    Keeping you both in prayers!
    Randi Lynn

6. Lorimary

Apr 26, 2009
    Vista, CA 10+ years
    After about 3 hours, she is now round again. She can walk and 'scramble' around, and has eaten a couple times already. She has a friend who's hanging with her... has not been to drink on her own yet, but we did give her quite a bit of sugar water over about a 2 hr period. She's toasty... so hopefully she'll make it the night. I'll post again in the AM once I check on her. Thanks for all the well wishes and advice!

7. montcapu

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    will definetly be checking in first thing in the morning to see how the baby is doing - can you take a pic of the fuzz butt

8. Lorimary

Apr 26, 2009
    Vista, CA 10+ years
    Sure. We'll get a picture tomorrow, hopefully of a healthy happy chick. My daughter had the idea to get chickens because her Oma (german grandma) had them when she was younger. We have built a stunning (if I do say so myself) coop with a completely enclosed yard and clear plexiglass roof. She and I have been sitting in there (it is cramped with all of us) with our 14 chicks every evening for a couple of hours monitoring the temp. and adjusting the red heat lamp for 90+ temps. She comes over every day to help take care of them.

9. Lorimary

Apr 26, 2009
    Vista, CA 10+ years
    Good Morning ! The crushed baby chick survived the night! She is running around with her siblings and seems to be unharmed. I am so relieved. I always take very seriously my responsibility for all of the animals I have. They are such a blessing in our lives. I want to thank everyone for their quick and helpful responses. As soon as my tech-savvy daughter is here, we'll post some pix. Mary

10. montcapu

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    please post a pic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by