Crushed chick - What do I do???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eggscalibur, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Eggscalibur

Eggscalibur Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    I need immediate advice. My five year old tripped while picking up a chick and partially crushed her. Her internal organs are protruding, so I know she's not going to make it. How do I "take care" of her as quickly and as painlessly as possible (for everyone's sake).

2. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    So sorry...cut its head off with a pair of sharp scissors [​IMG]

3. Eggscalibur

Eggscalibur Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I considered that, but my daughter was very upset and wants to bury the chick intact. I stumbled across the instructions for a euthanasia chamber and was able to throw one together quickly. It worked, but I still have one upset little girl. Wish me luck on that end.

4. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Let her know accidents happen, and it is not her fault. Poor girl, kids do take it hard. Tell her I had a large mother hen step on a chick with the same results; so even mommy chickens have accidents.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Even momma hen do have accidents....had one happened to me too!

Just do the best you can for the chick by putting it to sleep and let the dd grieve for her, help to bury her and say a few prayers.

Accidents just happens! [​IMG]

6. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Sorry to hear. I can imagine how it would be traumatic to a little kid. I freaked out the other day when I thought I stepped on one of mine.

7. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] to you and your little girl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by