Crushed chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lady EE, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Lady EE

Lady EE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Earth
    Hi, I have a 14 week old pullet who was stepped on. She's breathing hard, and several of her ribs are broken , but the skin isn't punctured. We accidentally jolted the box and she sat up. Should we try to save her or put her down? If we try what should we do?[​IMG]

2. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    I would try to save her. I would keep her in a safe place where she can heal at her own pace. I've heard of people giving their chickens scrambled eggs to help with strength. I'd give her milk every day too to help her bones heal. My chickens LOVE milk. Good luck to her [​IMG]

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Let her rest and make food & water available.

4. Lady EE

Lady EE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Earth
    She's standing up, but she pooped a small amount of blood. Should I be worried about that? Also, skim milk or whole?

5. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    I'm new to chicken keeping, but since nobody else is responding yet, I'll chime in. My *guess* is that whole milk would be better, but if anyone wants to correct me on that, please do so. My reasoning is that the chickens on my grandpas dairy farm probably got some of the milk right after milking. And maybe there are more nutrients in whole milk?
    Blood in the stool is never a good sign. Was it just blood? Was it blood and poo mixed together?
    Is the chicken resting well, or does she seem distressed?

6. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    if you've only got skim milk in the house, i'm sure that would be fine.

7. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Yeah, blood's not a good sign but if she makes it through the night that's a good sign. I think you better get the antibiotics going.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  8. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    You might want to give her real soft easy things to digest.

9. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    My chickens love PLAIN Yogurt, some of their food, and a little water mixed together. They get Calcium from the Yogurt plus alot of other great things and they are getting the nutrients from their food also. Also like I was told anytime you give antibiotics it is a good plan to give them Yogurt. It is great for their digestive system. I truely believe it helped my one hen to recover. Good luck! I hope this helps [​IMG].

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    maybe a broken rib punctured something - poor baby

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by