Crushed day 20 egg

bpoore04

Songster
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
Ok so I went to check on my chickens and I went to see the broody and I looked under her cause I thought that maybe one might have pipped ya know just hoping and I looked and one was completely crushed and there was blood on it. I didn’t think that it was still alive but it was still warm where it was still under her and I took it out and started chipping the shell off in little pieces making sure I stopped if it bled anymore and it started moving. So it is still alive. I chipped all the shell off that I could and it has broke into the air cell because it has started chirping but I don’t know what else to do. I have it in the incubator right now with a heat lamp above my incubator because it doesn’t heat up correctly. What should i do? Do I need to put water in the incubator so the membrane doesn’t dry out?? Someone please help

Personally, I would have left the chick under the broody hen.
Nature knows best. I have put chicks under broodies in the past I thought were close to dead and the next day was unable to tell the sick one apart from the healthy ones.
This is my first time actually hatching eggs so I wasn’t sure if the mom would peck at it or not since it was bleeding. All of my other chickens will peck at red

But now that it’s already out and in my incubator is there anything else I can do? Do I need to have water in there for humidity or no?

Back
Top Bottom