Crushed Egg Shells for food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BackwoodsPrepperX3, Jul 27, 2011.

1. BackwoodsPrepperX3

BackwoodsPrepperX3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    I am very new to chicken keeping. Somebody told me to crush up their egg shells and mix it in their feed to give them calcium. Is this true?

2. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    yep. they eat them if they need them. can give with food, treats or by themselves. good recycling of the calcium

3. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Yes, great source of calcium, readily available and this is the best way to do it. Welcome to chickens!!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yes. There is some discussion if you need to cook or wash the shells; and whether or not to add to the food or feed separately. But Yes.

Imp

5. BackwoodsPrepperX3

Jul 27, 2011
    Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I should ask, when is the best time to collect eggs and how well should I wash them?

6. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    I collect my eggs in late afternoon, and I just lightly wash them to get the poo off

7. aggie9296

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    mine usually lay before noon, but I don't get home until 6 and they are fine out there all day.

i don't wash mine unless they are poopy, then a damp paper towel is all i use. they stay fresh longer if they are not scrubbed clean, supposedly. i don't know. i never scrub them and they don't stay around long enough to say how long they stay fresh!

8. BackwoodsPrepperX3

Jul 27, 2011
    How do I check my posts? On my survival forum there is a USER CP tab that I can click on that will take me to my posts if somebody replies to one. It is hard to search for my threads when so many people are chatting.

9. aggie9296

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    go to index, scroll down to bottom, show my (or your) posts

10. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    [​IMG]

Go to your profile and then toward the bottom there is a view topic and posts link

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by