Crushed egg shells smell like chlorine...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickNanny13, Feb 8, 2016.

1. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Just starting with chickens again....My Pullets will be 18wks next week, I've been collecting, washing, drying & crushing egg shells (store eggs) for calcium supplement in the future. Feeding some to my meal worm farm which I started for the chickens. Just noticed when I opened the container the smell of chlorine.

Now I'm wondering if the store eggs; "Mainland Shell Protected", I live in Hilo, HI; are some way "treated"? Thinking of dumping this batch & wait until my Hens lay. In the mean time will be supplementing with Oyster Shells. They're on Home Grown All Purpose right now, when they start laying will give the OS.

Any ideas whether these store bought egg shells are ok to give as supplement?

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! In my opinion oyster shells are the best route. I know it may make you feel good recycling egg shells but there's a few draw backs. If the egg shell didn't have much calcium (problem with most store bought) your chickens won't get much calcium. Remember what you put into the is what you get out. Also egg shells they can absorb a lot faster meaning it doesn't last longer like oyster shells. Oyster shells have lots of calcium in them and is slowly absorbed by the body making it work longer. If you're buying a complete laying hen feed only use oyster shells when you notice the shell is getting thin, molting, or hens eating feathers off of each other. Too much calcium can start to hurt the kidneys. The kidneys can repair themselves.

3. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Thank you, I'll be tossing the egg shells into the garden :) Hear you about the layer feed, just opened the Multi Purpose so it's going to be several months before I have to buy feed again. FF method saves a lot on feed. Wonder if when they start laying I could purchase layer feed & mix in the multi purpose (until it's gone) & supplement with the oyster shells?

4. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    you could mix it. When mixing feeds you just take the average of the nutrition. You don't always have to give oyster shells. How old are your pullets?

5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It looks like you're getting some good information already so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  6. wingedshade

wingedshade Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2016
    Delta junction, Alaska
    The membrane on the inside of the shell might have gone bad, although that is usually more of a sulfur smell. Boiling or microwaving the empty shells should fix that.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. You may want to post on your state thread to see if other Hawaiians have noticed the chlorine like smell - on shell protected eggs from stores.

1 person likes this.
  8. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    They're 17wks, got 2 RIR & 2EE....One of the RIR's comb is "bigger" than the other & redder, have a feeling she'll be the first to lay, the others are pretty pale.

9. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Thanks for the reply, appreciate all you taking the time.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by