crushed eggs+ chichens= eaten eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Egg - Static, Mar 16, 2017.

1. not fixed

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. fixed

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Egg - Static

Egg - Static Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2016
    It seems as though my hens have started eating eggs. I tried the mustered filled eggs but that did not work ( I guess they like the mustered.) Any other ideas would be appreciated.

(eggs are collected once or twice a day.)

Egg- Static

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Find out which chicken eats eggs and eat her.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Hens will eat eggs for a few reasons. The main reason is because they are suffering from either a protein or calcium deficiency. Feeding a good ration higher in protein can help prevent it. 18-22% seems to be the best. A good all flock ration or non medicated starter grower can work well as the main ration. Always keep a separate bowl of oyster shells for any extra calcium needs.

Cracked eggs in a nestbox with often get eaten to clean out the nest. Keep your nests well bedded to prevent cracked eggs.

Keep fake ceramic eggs in your boxes to prevent hens from being successful when pecking eggs.

Once egg eating becomes chronic you may have to cull the offenders to stop it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Egg - Static

Aug 17, 2016
    I know for sure that they are getting what they need in their diet. Yes, I have hanging feeders with grit and calcium etc...
    Yes, I clean out my nest boxes when they break one.
    I should try the fake eggs. =) thanks for the suggestions.

5. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    What worked for me was a) adding thick coir (?) mats to the bottom of the neat box, because they kept scratching the hay in there to the bare bottom, b) collecting eggs all the time, as much as every hour for about a week (and leaving the two ceramic eggs in there) and c) upping their protein with mealworms and sunflower seeds - they were eating a 17% diet, but I know that when they get out to forage, they go for the bugs long before the greens, so they might need a bit more. That did the trick.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    What exactly are you feeding them, including treats? And percent protein in their ration? What is the age of your feed? Do they free range? Size of coop? Run?

Most often, egg eating is a seasonal issue, occurring towards the end of the winter. If a hen lays a weak shelled egg, it's natural for them to "clean it up" as a self preservation thing. I've seen a definite correlation between shell strength and addition of multi vitamins. If certain other vitamins are lacking, she can't metabolize that calcium. Bored chickens can also become egg eaters. If all they do is hang around the coop all day, waiting for that next egg to roll out of the chute, that can be the highlight of their day, and result in egg eating. If they have reason to be out of the coop all day, they are less likely to be bored.

8. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life!

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    For us, something similar to what Stephenie did seems to be working. Our hens were cooped inside because we get excessive snow, so boredom could be a factor, and fast changing weather caused a humidity spike in the coop which shot ammonia levels up. We had a few rubber eggs, then soft shells and that seemed to result in a eating problem for a short while. The coop had been fully cleaned out, but the occasional egg was still getting eaten, so matts went into the best boxes. The girls were kicking out the nesting material in spite of a 4 inch lip. No more eaten eggs. They also seem to prefer the fine pine shavings over chips or chopped straw.

9. Egg - Static

Aug 17, 2016
    yes, some treats but not over 10% of diet
    feeding 16% feed
    8-10 days?
    yes, sometimes. I only let them out when I can sit with them just in case something happens.
    12' by 6' total , not quite sure.

Yes, my chickens like to kick the hay out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by