Crushed quahog ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kannna, Jul 14, 2010.

1. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Would it be ok to use crushed quahog instead of oyster shell?

2. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    You're assuming someone outside of New England knows what a quahog is. [​IMG]

I've wondered the same thing, actually. Add to that ANY crushed shells - scallop, slipper, moon, conch, mussel, etc. Whenever we go to the beach, the kids and I are constantly taking home more shells than we know what to do with, and I'd love to be able to put them to good use. If the chickens can't eat them, maybe I could crush them and add to compost?

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:Isn't it a cousin to the warthog? [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    crushed shell be it oyster or whatever is CLACIUM! same as cuttlefish bone so its ok to wash and crush shell's for use as grit

5. karl E lutz

karl E lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    It has been a long long time since I ate a stuffed Quahog. Just seeing the word makes my mouth water

6. karl E lutz

karl E lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    It has been a long long time since I ate a stuffed Quahog. Just seeing the word makes my mouth water

7. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I can't imagine that clamshells would be any different than oyster shell or egg shells for that matter. You're looking at calcium carbonate either way, and it's the calcium you're interested in. You'd just have to clean them so that they won't develop that "wonderful" funky smell.

8. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I would think you could use any shell composed of calcium carbonate, the calcium being what you're interested in for chickens. In fact, if there are bits of clam clinging to the shell the chooks would probably enjoy them all the more. They might be more likely to smell after a time though.

9. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Thanks! I figured it would be about the same as oysters. I live on an island off the coast of Massachusetts. We have wild oysters, but it's easier to find quahogs (which are a hard shelled clam for those that aren't aware. It's a Wampanoag indian word. They made money beads or wampum out of them.) People make driveways out of them these days. [​IMG]

10. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I wouldn't know a quahog if it flopped itself onto my plate... could it do that? [​IMG]

Jenny

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by