1. There is currently a quarantine in place in the area surrounding and containing the Southern California counties of Los Angeles County and Riverside County for Virulent Newcastle Disease. The quarantine strictly restricts movements of poultry, eggs, supplies and other items that can spread vND. Please do not list items for sale originating from either county without written permission from the CDFA. Please see here for more details

Crushed walnut shells for dust bath?

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Speckledhen43, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Speckledhen43

Speckledhen43 In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2019
    I have a bag of leftover finely crushed walnut shells. It is bedding for lizards. Can I use this for a dust bath for chickens?

cavemanrich likes this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I don't see why not. :idunno
    Chickens can sometimes be fussy what they want to dust in. I provided my chickens with sand, and they just ignored it. They preferred to make dust baths in soil. They also did like dusting in my flower pots which had potting soil. I set a tub of garden soil inside run area,,,,,,,,, you guessed it,,, they ignored it. :idunno:idunno:idunno
    They like dusting in my campfire pit, (when not blazing of course) :old
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Speckledhen43 likes this.
  3. Speckledhen43

Speckledhen43 In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2019
    I noticed they had stirred it up a bit yesterday. Better than bathing in their crumbles!

cavemanrich likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: