Crushing food for Serama chicks?? NEED INFO

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, May 30, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I read on a site that you should crush baby Serama's crumble? Does anyone else do this for their Serama's? I don't want to kill my poor baby by feeding it food that is to big for him!

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Any Serama owners???? I have a baby eating crumbles and I need to know if I should be crushing it up for him. Thanks much!

3. LuannKeller

LuannKeller Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    I do run my baby food through the blender when they are very young. The larger Serama born to C size birds or larger do fine with regular chick start crumbles, but the ones born to A size birds are so small that the food is too big - so I grind it down to a smaller crumble, but I don't make it dust.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Thank you! I was worried about her/him. Mine was born from C size but it looks so little! Have any idea the weight of a C size chick or the weight they would do ok without grinding it up?

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I watched mine and they look like they were having trouble picking it up in their beaks so I smushed their food for them till they got older,,,,,,,,,if I didnt think they were eating enough I would fix scrambled egg and give them a little to give them a boost

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  6. LuannKeller

LuannKeller Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    When you put some rolled oats (oatmeal) and crushed corn in with starter and grind it for a few seconds in the coffee grinder they LOVE it. The only problem is as they get older they also love to dust bath in it...when they have their wing feathers I stop crusing it for them. If you ave an extra tiny baby that seems to have little interest in eating, mix some crushed food (including oatmeal) in a bottle cap with warm water. They love it and you can give that a few times a day until they are stronger. I learned this from watching my best broody girls - they make soup and the kids love it (I hate it because I'm left changing waters constantly!)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by