Crust on my chickens face

Mayer layers

Hatching
Jan 30, 2022
Was giving some love to my nerd bird Gloria and I noticed some crust on her little face. Not sure what it is, if I need to be concerned, or how to treat it. Have 14 other ladies in the coop and have not noticed any crusties on them. Any help is much appreciated! 🙏
20220129_142128.jpg

While you wait, ot would help to answer sone of these questions.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

While you wait, ot would help to answer sone of these questions.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Hard to know for sure without a vet doing a scraping and looking at it under a microscope. It could be feed, dried nasal or eye secretions, scaly face mites, or fungus (favus.) I would try washing the areas with mild soap and water, and see if it comes off. If not, you could apply some coconut oil, vaseline, or if you suspect favus, get some miconazole (monistat) or clotrimazole from the dollar tree or Walmart. Favus can spread from the face and comb into feathered areas. Dry skin is also common in winter.

She is a 9 month old silkie. Behavior and weight is normal for her (not sure of her actual weight, but she does not feel lighter). No other signs of injury.I've observed her eating normally. Noticed the crust yesterday 1-29-22. Have not noticed and abnormal poops in the coop. I have not isolated her so I don't know about her poop specifically. No other birds seem to have it. But I'll take a closer look. No treatment as of yet, I'd like to treat it myself. The coop bedding is a mix of pine shavings and straw. Currently using the deep litter method. Have a tarp hung under the roost to collect poop. Significantly reduces the poop that collects on the coop floor. Picture included in the original post.

Hard to know for sure without a vet doing a scraping and looking at it under a microscope. It could be feed, dried nasal or eye secretions, scaly face mites, or fungus (favus.) I would try washing the areas with mild soap and water, and see if it comes off. If not, you could apply some coconut oil, vaseline, or if you suspect favus, get some miconazole (monistat) or clotrimazole from the dollar tree or Walmart. Favus can spread from the face and comb into feathered areas. Dry skin is also common in winter.
Thanks so much, I giver her a wash and apply some coconut oil. And pick up some monistat.

Back
Top Bottom