Crusty Bum

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BladeDuck, Aug 5, 2013.

1. BladeDuck

BladeDuck Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    I just noticed my KC female has a bunch of poo stuck to her bum and it looks inflamed. I tried to see if any of it would just come off but it was stuck on there and giving her some discomfort. My other two adult ducks and five 7-week-olds all look good. I just moved to a place with a quarter acre yard so they are roaming and eating whatever is out there including their usual grain. When we moved (5 weeks ago), the big ducks all went into a molt, probably stressed out from the move. The KC never molted her wing feathers and she never has in the past. She is 21 months old. So her wing feathers have looked raggedy for a while.

Any ideas for treatment and for why this might be happening?

2. BladeDuck

Dec 10, 2011
    I will post a pic if anyone really wants to see it.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Are you positive it's not a prolapse? I'd soak her in some nice warm water long enough for what ever it is to soften so you can get a good look at what this is. and post a pic it may help.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    X2 What ML wrote.

5. BladeDuck

Dec 10, 2011
    She laid an egg this morning and her bum is all bloody from the ordeal, poor girl.[​IMG] I guess I need to be checking their bums more often. I am getting an epsom salt bath ready for her, hopefully I can get it cleaned up a bit, its pretty gnarly right now. I am not familiar with prolapse vent, I will look into that.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If it is a prolapse you want to keep her in a quiet place as dark as possible to keep her from laying till it's healed up. Prolapse is hard to deal with in some cases and can mean you'll lose her if not taken care of quickly. make sure she doesn't drink the ES it works as a laxative. I know Amiga has delt with prolapse and hopefully others can weigh in also. Haunted 55 is another one that had a goose with prolapse. you don't want the tissue to dry out, Vaseline or KY will help and also honey. and keep her away from flies.

7. BladeDuck

Dec 10, 2011
    This is also my chronic "I don't bathe" duck. She just dips her head in the water and gets in every once in a while.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd bring her inside and put her in a tub of warm water, she may not like it but it's for her on good and health. I've had a many a hen sitting in my kitchen sink.

9. BladeDuck

Dec 10, 2011
    I gave her a bath. Couldn't find the epsom salts so I put in some redmond clay. I pulled off some of the scabbing while it was soft since it was so dirty. Can I wrap it in any way (like a duck diaper)?

10. BladeDuck

Dec 10, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Sorry the phone pictures aren't great. I am not sure what I am looking for.

[​IMG]
    Poor Lilly [​IMG]

I put her in a large box in the dark bathroom for now so I can keep an eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by