Crusty Butt

Kali

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
North Plains
Hi, newbie here (to the forum and raising chickens)
I have 11 Cornish X that are a about 7 weeks old. We will process a few this weekend just to get our feet wet so-to-speak.
A few weeks ago 1 of the birds was picked on and had to be quarantined. It was a bloody mess. She suffered quite heavily in the vent area and has never made a complete recovery in that feces don't excrete normally and accumulate on her vent & underside. She was reintroduced to the flock a week later with no further incidents. We call that one Crusty Butt. This morning I noticed her vent area (not the vent itself) is quite enlarged, almost like there's an egg stuck in there, see pic way down below.
My question is; should I dispose of this chicken so as to not waste any more food on her or is there anything I can do to make her appear more "appetizing" and edible?
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_788142.jpg

THANKS for looking.... it's gross aint it?!

Is there any way you can... Squish it out? I know that doesn't sound very scientific, and it could be a horrible thing to do but, it looks blocked up... Maybe it'll explode like a pimple? Try soaking her in warm water for a while to soften any hard crusties that might be holding it shut.

A nice soft bristle scrub brush (like used on horses) and some temped water goes a long way. You may have to flush out the inside of the duct if it's blocked up really bad. A [read several] Q-tip will be useful in ensuring that it's not blocked shut.

Ok, so I hand expressed what I could before the poor thing was just suffering too much. It was very compacted and bloody toward the end.
How would I "flush it out"?
I don't want to have to do it again and may just dispose of her tonight if it gets reblocked, I can't handle that whine she was making during the purge. Plus I only want to eat happy meat... sickly doesn't sound so tasty.

Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited:
Crusty Butt is back to business as usual... still a bit crusty but not constipated.
No one has mentioned whether or not they would eat her. Is her meat going to taste bad because of the pooper problems??

Last edited:
I have a chicken that doesn't have the swelling but does have a bare bottom. I thought I saw mites so i sprayed her with something containing pyrethrin(sp?).

Are you treating her with anything now?

Back
Top Bottom